Derek Wagar joined Fruitman Kates in June 2019 as a Partner in the tax group. With a wealth of experience as a Canadian income tax professional, he uses his specialized knowledge and expertise to help clients pay less tax. In particular, he advises on reorganizations, trusts and estate planning, corporate acquisitions and disposals, cross-border tax issues, sales tax, and tax minimization strategies. He also assists his clients with tax compliance and dealing with the Canada Revenue Agency.
Clients value Derek’s direct approach to communication and his practical, results-oriented nature. He takes the time to simplify complex concepts to ensure clients are well-informed when making important decisions for their business. Derek’s clients include high net-worth individuals, small and mid-sized owner-managed companies, and other private companies.
Prior to joining Fruitman Kates, Derek was a tax Partner at another mid-sized accounting firm in Toronto and he has been working in the Canadian tax field since 1999.
Education and Professional Associations
- Chartered Professional Accountant Ontario Canada 2013
- In-Depth GST/HST 2017
- Advances Tax Issues for the owner-Managed Business Course 2005
- In-Depth Tax Course (Parts 1 to 3) 2002 – 2004
- Certified General Accountant Ontario 2002
- Bachelor of Accounting Science, University of Calgary 2001
- Business Administration – Accounting, St Lawrence College 1998