MBA, CPA, CA, CBV, CFE, CFF
Mitchell Ornstein has joined Fruitman Kates as a principal in 2024 after the merger of Ornstein Valuations Ltd, a boutique valuations and forensic accounting practice based in Toronto.
With over 15 years of diversified experience, Mitchell advises businesses and individuals on a wide range of services including business and intellectual property valuations, securities valuations, and succession planning. Mitchell’s legal counterparts, as well as the clients he represents, rely on his fair and accurate estimates to finalize highly sensitive transactions in the areas of family law matters, tax and estate planning, fraud investigations and shareholder disputes. His astute approach instills confidence and comfort in even the most distressing situations.
Mitchell is an experienced expert witness having testified at arbitration hearings and on multiple occasions before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. He has also been entrusted by the same Court to act as a Referee (hired directly by Court). Having previously served as a Chair of Collaborative Divorce Toronto, Mitchell is also an experienced professional in handling joint and collaborative family law separations while greatly reducing the overall costs, timelines, and stress in very difficult situations.
Mitchell is also a staunch academic having partnered with the University of Toronto (U of T) to develop a course titled Foundations of Business Valuation, which was subsequently accredited by the Chartered Business Valuators Institute. In addition to teaching business valuations at U of T and McMaster, Mitchell has taught financial accounting courses at U of T and the Schulich School of Business at York University. He also volunteers for the CPA Ontario annual Tax Clinic, which organizes free accounting services for low-income individuals.
When away from the office, Mitchell can be found spending time with his family, playing strategy board games, and playing several team sports.
- Master of Business Administration, Finance Specialization, Schulich School of Business-York University, 2013
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors), Major in Economics, York University, 2007
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honors), Schulich School of Business-York University, 2006
- AICPA Forensic and Valuation Services (FVS), 2014
- Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario, 2012
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, 2011
- Chartered Business Valuators Institute, 2011
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario, 2010